Top 5 Instructions After Your Tummy-Tuck Operation
- For the first week it will be important to have three pillows behind your back and two pillows under your knees when sleeping and sitting. This takes the tension off of the incision. Also, for the first week, when walking, you should bend forward at the waist to take the tension off the incision.
- Walking is very important to reduce the risk of blood clots. The night of your surgery, you will need to walk to the restroom. The day after surgery it will be important not to be in bed all day. It will take weeks, and maybe months to get back to your baseline energy level, so don’t get discouraged.
- You can shower after 48 hours, but do not submerge your incision under water. Also, you will have drains in place so be careful they do not get pulled out in the shower. One tip is to wear underwear or a bikini bottom, and fasten the drain tubes to this. That way, they will not be pulling on your skin and won’t get pulled out.
- Although walking is important, exercise and strenuous activity is to be avoided for 6 weeks. This is to avoid any extra stress to the sutures in the muscles as well as the incision. After 6 weeks, all restrictions are lifted.
- You may drive once you are off of the pain medications and feel comfortable. This typically takes at least one week. As far as returning to work, most patients take 1-2 weeks off from work. If your work requires strenuous activity or lifting, you will need to be on light duty for 4-6 weeks.
Just like everything else in plastic surgery, in order to get the best results, the correct operation has to be performed. Please see my website for more about Abdominoplasty or Full or Mini Tummy Tuck