Your Breast Augmentation Consultation
Breast augmentation surgery can be a very gratifying procedure for women. It can instill a sense of confidence and femininity and is the most common cosmetic procedure performed in the US. But in order to undergo a breast augmentation, you first need to take the first step and schedule a consultation. In this post I will give a little insight into what is discussed during your consultation.
- Assess patient’s goals: Each woman has a different aesthetic goal. Some women like a fuller look, some women a more subtle look. It is important to understand each woman’s goals and objectives because this is not a cookie-cutter operation.
- Review history: Pregnancy and breast feeding history is reviewed, as are any family history of breast cancer. Women age 35 and over are recommended to getting a screening mammogram prior to surgery.
- Discuss saline vs. silicone: This is very important and also has to do with the woman’s aesthetic goals. In some cases silicone implants will be better and in some cases saline implants will be better and these will be discussed during the consultation.
- Discuss over vs. under the muscle: This refers to the pocket that is created for placement of the implants. I almost exclusively go under the muscle except in certain very specific cases.
- Discuss incision location: This will be discussed and tailored not only to the woman’s anatomy, but also, to their preference, and the implant type (i.e. saline vs. silicone).
- Size: This is perhaps the most important aspect of the consultation. I use a d 3D camera system called Vectra to image you. The system takes a photograph of you and creates a 3D image than can be rotated to give you different views. Different implant sized can then be used to show what you can look like after the surgery.
Obviously, the actual consultation is significantly more in depth and I frequently spend an hour with the patient on the initial consultation.
To learn more about breast augmentation and to view before and after pictures visit my website at drdadvandplasticsurgery.com.